The holidays inspire many people to give back to their community. Follow these links to see how you can help for the December holidays:
And of course organizations need help all year long so be sure to use the search box on our website to find projects on the calendar or opportunities that match keywords that you enter or are located near your home.
Holiday Giving Project of Montgomery County
For over 30 years, the Holiday Giving Project of Montgomery County has helped residents in need celebrate Thanksgiving and the December holidays. A coalition of over 20 non-profits, local governments, and faith groups volunteer to collect and distribute donations of holiday food, gift cards, or toys to Holiday Giving Project recipients. A Wider Circle is the coordinating service agency for this county-wide effort.
Last year, the Holiday Giving Project served over 8,000 households for Thanksgiving and over 9,000 for the December holidays. Since all food, gift cards, and toys are donated, your help is needed!
Click here for information on gaps in coverage and how partner agencies can help.
Here is how community members can help:
- Donate new toys -- we suggest a $25 price point per gift to avoid sibling rivalry issues
- Donate grocery store gift cards -- provides the opportunity for families to shop for their own holiday meal
- Donate department store gift cards -- cards from Target, Walmart, and other stores are the perfect gift for teens, who are often overlooked during the holidays
- Organize a food, toy or gift card drive with your neighbors, work associates, or club members
Your donations will be matched to one of our Holiday Giving Project coalition members, who will get your gifts to the families on their holiday list. In fact, following the link above to "Holiday Request - Donors" will reach some of the specific requests from program participants. While we appreciate offers to deliver gifts, family information is not shared with others in order to respect their privacy.
For more information, contact Susan Klavon, Project Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Request from A Wider Circle for More Organizations to Partner with the Holiday Giving Project 2014
The Zip Code Coordinator Program we help to oversee in Montgomery County still has a few gaps. Each year, we seem to be shy of enough organizations for the zip codes, and we are there again. If any of you are able or know a group that might be able to help, here are the gaps:
Christmas/December holidays (The help ranges from gifts to gift cards to both to whatever nice way of supporting our neighbors folks can do. Food is sometimes a part of the family gifts, but not always.)
Zip Codes Estimated # households that will need coverage
- 20812, 20813, 20814, 20815, 20816, 20817, 20818 (Bethesda area) December holidays: approximately 90 households
- 20902 (Wheaton - partial coverage) December holidays: approximately 300 households
- 20903 (Silver Spring) December holidays: approximately 375 households
- 20906 (Aspen Hill - partial coverage) December holidays: approximately 500 households