The Scheduling Office will
open January 25, 2016.
To hear a recorded message call
RSVP/AARP Tax-Aide Program
RSVP/AARP Tax Aide provides free federal and state (Maryland) tax preparation services for low-to-moderate income taxpayers who live or work in Montgomery County. Special attention is given to those 60 years old and older. Our program runs during tax season, the first week of February through April 15.
The program has over 100 volunteers who are trained to prepare simple tax forms. Each year we prepare over 4,000 federal and state returns. The AARP flier provides more information on which returns are considered simple and which are too complex (out-of-scope) for the program. Please read this information before making an appointment. Taxpayers with complex tax returns will be advised to seek paid tax assistance.
The RSVP/AARP Tax Aide program prepares taxes at over 20 different locations across Montgomery County.
Click here for a list of locations that had appointments in 2015.
To respect your time we work by appointment only.
Taxpayer: What to bring to your appointment
- Last year’s Federal and State tax returns
- All tax forms showing income including:
-- All W2s, 1099s (interest, dividends, pensions, IRA disbursements, state tax refunds, stock sales, etc.
-- 1098s (mortgage, interest, brokerage, student expenses)
-- Social Security or Railroad Retirement statements
- The amount of estimated Federal and Maryland taxes you paid
- Social Security cards, including for children
- Basis for any stock sales (purchase date and cost)
- If you sold a home or other property, what it cost, when you bought it, and what you paid for major improvements
- Alimony received or paid for the year, if applicable.
- If Married and Filing Separately, bring spouse’s SS#; if spouse is itemizing expenses, you will also have to itemize so bring concise list of your expenses
- Concise list of expenses and charitable donations if you wish to itemize
- Property tax records
- Photo IDs for adults (persons 18 years and older included in the return)
- In order to have any refund you receive electronically deposited, bring a blank check showing your bank’s routing number and account number
What health insurance information do you need to bring this year to support tax preparation?
- Health insurance coverage information for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents. Examples of health insurance are Medicare, Medicaid, employer sponsored coverage under a group health plan, individual health coverage, CHIP, Tricare.
- If taxpayer doesn’t have full-year coverage for self, spouse, and all dependents, information on monthly coverage.
- If taxpayer purchased health insurance through the Marketplace/Exchange, Form 1095-A. S/he should receive this form by January 31.
- If any health care exemptions were received from the IRS or the Marketplace/Exchange, bring exemption code and certificate number.
- All information needed to complete returns for taxpayer, spouse and for each dependent that has a filing requirement.
For more information about the Marketplace/Exchange, visit HealthCare.gov.
For more information on the Affordable Care Act, go to irs.gov/aca.
Taxpayer: Your tax Preparation Appointment
When you arrive at the site for your tax preparation appointment, you will be asked to fill out Part I through Part VI (page 1 to top of page 4) of the Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet. Volunteers at the site are prepared to help you complete the form and answer any questions that you may have about the form.
If you would like to review the Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet before your appointment, click here http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f13614c.pdf to see the form. You may download the form and complete some or all of Part I through Part VI before your appointment. Bring the Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet and all supporting tax documents (see What to Bring above) to your appointment.
Other free tax preparation services in Montgomery County
Go to the Montgomery County home page www.montgomerycountymd.gov. On the top bar click on MC311. Enter tax assistance in the search box.
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP)
Tax-Aide is a program of the Montgomery County's RSVP program (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program). Click here to find out about more RSVP opportunities and to become a member!
The Montgomery County Tax-Aide program expresses its gratitude to Acuity Innovations, LLC for its donation of the Acuity Scheduling software being used in our central scheduling office this year. We expect the use of this software will simplify the scheduling process for both our volunteers and the taxpayers we serve.