The Scheduling Office will
reopen on January 30, 2017.
To hear a recorded message
RSVP/AARP Tax-Aide Program
RSVP/AARP Tax Aide provides free federal and state (Maryland) tax preparation services for low-to-moderate income taxpayers who live or work in Montgomery County. Special attention is given to those 60 years old and older. Our program runs during tax season.
The program has more than 100 volunteers who are trained to prepare simple tax forms. Each year we prepare nearly 5,000 federal and state returns. The AARP flier provides more information on which returns are considered simple and which are too complex (out-of-scope) for the program. Please read this information before making an appointment. Taxpayers with complex tax returns will be advised to seek paid tax assistance.
The RSVP/AARP Tax Aide program prepares taxes at more than 20 different locations across Montgomery County.
Click here for a list of locations with appointments in 2017.
To respect your time we work by appointment only.
Taxpayer: What to bring to your appointment
- Last year’s (2015) tax return(s)
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and every individual on your return (required this year).
- Photo I.D. required for all taxpayers.
- Checkbook if you want to direct deposit any refund(s) into your bank account.
- W-2 from each employer
- Unemployment compensation statements
- SSA-1099 Form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or Form RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits
- 1099 Forms reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
- 1099-R Form if you received a pension, annuity, or IRA distribution
- 1099-MISC Forms
- Information about other forms of Income
- State or local income tax refunds
- All forms and canceled checks indicating federal and state income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments)
Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions. If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. You will need to bring the following information:
- 1098 Form showing any home mortgage interest
- A list of medical/dental expenses (including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums), a list of prescription medicines, costs of assisted living services, and bills for home improvements such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities
- Summary of contributions to charity
- Receipts or canceled checks for all quarterly or other paid tax
- Property Tax bills and proof of payment
- 1095A Forms if you purchased insurance through the Marketplace (Exchange)
- 1095B/1095C Forms (if applicable)
- Any exemption correspondence from the Marketplace (if applicable)
- Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID, or Social Security number)
- 1098-T and 1098-E Forms (Tuition and Student Loan Interest)
Taxpayer: Your Tax Preparation Appointment
When you arrive at the site for your tax preparation appointment, you will be asked to fill out Part I through Part VII (page 1 to top of page 3) of the Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet. The grey sections will be filled in by a volunteer preparer. Volunteers at the site are prepared to help you complete the form and answer any questions that you may have about the form.
If you would like to review the Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet before your appointment, you may download the form and complete some or all of Part I through Part VII before your appointment. Bring the Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet and all supporting tax documents (see What to Bring above) to your appointment.
For the RSVP/AARP Tax-Aide snow policy, please click here.
Other free tax preparation services in Montgomery County
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP)
Tax-Aide is a program of the Montgomery County's RSVP program (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program). Click here to find out about more RSVP opportunities and to become a member!
The Montgomery County Tax-Aide program expresses its gratitude to Acuity Scheduling, Inc. for its donation of the Acuity Scheduling software being used in our central scheduling office this year. We expect the use of this software will simplify the scheduling process for both our volunteers and the taxpayers we serve.