To schedule an appointment call
Office opens January 27, 2014
RSVP/AARP Tax-Aide Program
RSVP/AARP Tax Aide provides free federal and state (Maryland) tax preparation services for low-to-moderate income taxpayers who live or work in Montgomery County. Special attention is given to those 60 years old and older. Our program runs during tax season, the first week of February through April 15.
The program has over 120 volunteers who are trained to prepare simple tax forms. Each year we prepare over 4,000 federal and state returns. The AARP flier provides more information on which returns are considered simple and which are too complex (out-of-scope) for the program. Please read this information before making an appointment. Taxpayers with complex tax returns will be advised to seek paid tax assistance.
The RSVP/AARP Tax Aide program prepares taxes at over 20 different locations across Montgomery County. Click here for a list of locations.
To respect your time we work by appointment only.
Taxpayer: Scheduling an appointment
To schedule an appointment call 240-777-2577.
If you have questions about a tax return done in a previous year please call the AARP membership line 1-888-687-2277. Let them know that your return was done for free and when and where your taxes were prepared. AARP will have a local representative call you.
Taxpayer: What to bring to your appointment
- Last year’s Federal and State tax returns
- All W2s, 1099s (interest, dividends, pensions, IRA disbursements, stock sales …)
- 1098s (mortgage, interest, brokerage, student expenses)
- Social Security or Railroad Retirement statements
- Social Security cards, particularly for children
- Basis for any stock sales (purchase date and cost)
- Alimony received or paid for the year, if applicable.
- If Married and Filing Separately, bring spouse’s SS#; if spouse is itemizing expenses, bring concise list of spouse’s expenses.
- Concise list of expenses if you wish to itemize
- Property tax records
- Photo IDs for adults
Other free tax preparation services in Montgomery County
Go to the Montgomery County home page www.montgomerycountymd.gov. On the top bar click on MC311. Enter tax assistance in the search box.
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP)
Tax-Aide is a program of the Montgomery County's RSVP program (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program). Click here to find out about more RSVP opportunities and to become a member!
The Montgomery County Tax-Aide program expresses its gratitude to Acuity Innovations, LLC of Laurel, MD for its donation of the Acuity Scheduling software being used in our central scheduling office this year. We expect the use of this software will simplify the scheduling process for both our volunteers and the taxpayers we serve.